Sunday, April 21, 2013

#21 Knowing Your Calling


By Dr. Stephen R. Phinney

He will not desert His people, for He will not revoke that call.

“For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable” (Romans 11:29).


This calling is high, or upward, in Christ. It is made in heaven by God on account of Christ for the Groom’s benefit and calling man to heaven.

“I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Phi. 3:14).


Similarly, it is a heavenly calling, also a holy calling--holy in aim, means, and end.

“Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession” (Heb. 3:1).


“Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity” (2 Tim. 1:9). 


Covenant Prayer

Dear Abba Father, I lift Your holy name up in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord. I praise You that Satan is a defeated enemy. I take great joy in the fact that Jesus accomplished Satan’s defeat by giving up His life on the Cross. I appropriate Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection, and ascension in my daily living. I look forward to the day that Satan is bound to the bottomless pit for eternity. I rejoice that You, the King of kings and the Lord of lords, give me perfect unity and calling over the enemy today. 


I choose to enter into my calling and claim my place as being more than a conqueror through Christ who loves me. I refuse to admit to ongoing defeat by Satan in any area of my life. He cannot and will not rule over me, or my family, or any of my loved ones. I affirm that Your grace and mercy rule all areas of my life through my union and calling in Christ. Please give me the strength and grace to affirm Your Truths in times of temptation. I bless and thank You for these daily battles and that You seek to accomplish Your divine will in my life. I accept the battlefield you have placed me in today and rejoice in Your divine purpose of it. I reject all of the satanic purposes the enemy has hidden behind his attacks. Through the calling of my Warrior and Savior, I stand resolute and strong upon the certainty of my calling. In confidence, I commit to come before Your throne boldly each day. All this I do in the name and authority of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Calling: The term “calling” is a naming, or inviting; a reading over or a reciting in order; or a call of names with a view to obtain an answer, as in legislative bodies. It can be a vocation; profession; trade; usual occupation, or employment. It certainly is a class of persons engaged in any profession or spiritual mission. It is a divine summons, vocation, or invitation to live out one’s reason for existence. A calling gives all diligence to make one’s election sure.


The original word for “calling” kôl´ing (κλῆσις, klésis, from kaléō, “I call”) is a New Testament expression. The word is used chiefly by Paul, though the idea and term are also found elsewhere. It has a definite, technical sense; the invitation given to men by God to accept Salvation in His kingdom through Jesus Christ. This invitation is given outwardly by the preaching of the Gospel and inwardly by the work of the Holy Spirit.


ISRAEL’S CALLING


With reference to Israel, having in His eternal counsel called this people, He entrusted them with great gifts, and because He did, He empowered them. He also, in the course of time, summoned them to fulfill the task of directing the world into the way of Salvation, and of preparing Salvation for the world. 


Christianity is a calling, a holy calling; it is the calling wherewith we are called by the Faithful Father. We are to labor in this calling to which we have been called. Wherever the call of the Gospel is, be assured it is an effectual call. It is found to be a holy call, making those holy who are effectually called by the Father. 

Condition in Your Calling:

There is a somewhat peculiar use of the word in 1 Corinthians 1:26 and 7:20. Namely, that condition in which men were when God called them: not many of them wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, some circumcised, some uncircumcised, some bond (slaves), some free, some male, some female, some married, some unmarried. 


”For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God” (1 Cor. 1:26-29).

Consider what God has done for you, and to what state and condition He has called you.


I earnestly request that you would approve yourselves faithful Bridal Members and live up to your profession and calling; that you walk worthy, agreeably, suitably, and courageous in the circumstances into which the grace of God has brought you, whom the Faithful Father has set before you. You ought to be a shelter for the Gospel by which you are called, and to the glory to which you are called; both are your vocation. You are called the Bride of Christ; you must answer by that identity, and live like children of the Father. You are called to God's kingdom and glory; that kingdom and glory therefore, you must live, and walk as heirs of the King of kings and Lord of lords. 


IN SUMMARY 

We are called with a high and holy calling. We are called to God's kingdom and glory. No less than the inheritance as Bridal members is the hope of our calling, nothing less than the enjoyment of that glory and contentment which shall be revealed when our Groom, Christ Jesus, shall be revealed from heaven. 

Now, if this is our calling, our great concern should be to be worthy of it, or be trained and prepared for this glory. Because we have no worthiness of our own, but through the grace of the Faithful Father, He has made us worthy by the Worthiness of His Son, and now we can count ourselves worthy of our calling!

Knowing Your Calling. Copyright © 2013 IOM America. Permission to reproduce for educational purposes. Please keep author’s name intact. 


All Scriptures, unless otherwise stated, are taken from the New American Standard Bible, © Copyright 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment